Tuesday 13 March 2012

Fighting Inside with Battlefield 3's New DLC

Last week DICE announced a new expansion pack coming to Battlefield 3 called Close Quarters. Dropping the vehicles and wide-open spaces Battlefield multiplayer is known for, Close Quarters offers a more intimate experience where everything breaks. On top of the cuts, player count drops down to 16 players per map -- that's eight on eight. 
 


Battlefield 3: Close Quarters Trailer


Here, five IGN editors break down their experience playing the new map Ziba Tower from the Close Quarters expansion pack. 


Peter Eykemans



For me, Battlefield's multiplayer demands the unpredictable combination of expansive maps, varied vehicles, and multiple options to approach any given situation. Two of those factors drop out in the Close Quarters pack, so my initial reaction is one of concern. Certain equipment and weapons are rendered useless in these layouts, so there's a new element of planning that comes into play (leave your repair torch at home). While it's easy to try and compare it to the tight-hallways of Call of Duty, there's something distinctly Battlefield about these smaller maps. Maybe it's the familiar loadouts, or maybe it's the massive destruction, but I'm looking forward to trying something different. It sure would be nice to circle Ziba Tower in a chopper, mowing down anyone near its glass windows, though. 


Mitch Dyer



I'm reluctant to sacrifice everything that makes Battlefield Battlefield, but Ziba Tower manages to do away with vehicles and big space in an effective way. It's absolutely the anti-Battlefield experience, and is completely in line with Call of Duty in terms of map design, but the destruction and large-scale fight in a small space retains enough of that unique Battlefield flavor. I wouldn't mind this and other maps like it in random rotation, but I don't know that I'd seek out this kind of combat in a Battlefield game when better options exist. It's an interesting experiment, at any rate. 


Casey Lynch



While some folks will compare it to Call of Duty, it's actually more Rainbow Six now -- at least that's what it most immediately reminded me of. That said, it definitely lost the scope and breadth of what I typically associate with the Battlefield franchise. This just feels more like "any modern shooter." The new focus definitely shows off destructibility, but I don't usually play shooters and think to myself, "This would be WAY more fun if stuff exploded everywhere." Still, wrecking fancy business suites and shattering expensive looking chandeliers provides some amusement. While Battlefield's known for vehicles, there's definitely a place for tighter quarters and CQC. Like I said though, it inherently changes the brand at some level. Now it's more like Battleapartment. 


Tina Palacios



I think I share a similar feeling of apprehension (that most fans will surely have), when I initially witnessed Close Quarters -- this isn't Battlefield. Take away the vehicles, large-open spaces, and then what's left? A new experience that doesn't even emulate the Call of Dutys or Gears of Wars for shooter fans. I kicked off some of my matches with an urge to stick with a kit I always feel comfortable playing with: support class with the M249. Nope, it didn't really work for me. Ziba Tower's layout made me feel like run-and-gunning it would get me the most kills -- so for the first time in Battlefield 3, I had a shotgun equipped as my primary weapon. The most important thing for fans to remember is: carve your own paths. Don't walk through a doorway, destroy the wall -- this is something I hope a lot more people do in my future play sessions. Most of the building can be destroyed, which is still a core element of Battlefield gameplay. 


Scott Lowe



The one thing I love about Battlefield 3 is how versatile the multiplayer experience is. If you're an expert pilot, you can lend support from the sky. If you prefer ranged combat, you can snipe. But for those who prefer frantic, close proximity team deathmatch, Battlefield 3's large open maps can be limiting. Close Quarters adds more for players who favor Call of Duty-style gameplay, but preserves Battlefield's amazing graphics, squad system, and destructible environments. 

It may not be enough to convince diehard CoD fans to make the switch, but it's certainly a nice addition for existing players. DICE has made great use of verticality and the interiors are surprisingly diverse. With a 16 player limit, matches are full of action but not to the point where you will rage quit after dying repeatedly. 

I'm eager to see what the other maps are like, but based on what I've seen thus far, Close Quarters will be a solid DLC offering. 




Check out the new trailer, read our thoughts, and let us know how you feel about June's DLC pack in the comments below. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

vote for 2012